Saturday, April 24, 2010

New for the spring



Arisaema sikokianum, a Japanese species. The starting white "golf ball" spadix is displayed inside the purple spathe. It is inside a chicken wire cage to keep the squirrels from digging it up like they did the last one we planted in the garden. There are quite a few Arisaema triphyllum, the common Jack in the Pulpit. We have a few Trillium in flower also, but unfortunately they don't spread as quickly as the Jacks. I love the unusual plants. Which leads me to the happy announcement that this is the opening weekend of the "New" Funkie Garden. It was in Prescott Wis., a long 25 drive and is now going to be a mere 12 miles north in Marine on St. Croix! : )



While I was cleaning up a spring garden of ornaments grasses I can across this Mallard nest. It's right by the front door of a very busy building and I was concerned that the mother may abandon the nest if it was too exposed so I left a tuft of grass banked up in front of the nest to act as a sort of blind. Last week when we were back at that garden, the mother duck was sitting on the nest. I felt relief.


We are actually getting some rain today. We sure need it! There is a family of squirrels making a nest and home in the spruce tree right off our patio. It feels that there must be seeds hidden in the flower pots that I just filled with Pansy's; and I come home to find my Pansy's on the ground and big holes dug in the dirt.



The rabbits sure like the fresh new growth of the hostas and few other plants coming up in the garden. I picked up a bag of Milorginite and lightly spread it though out the garden to repel the little bastards. I recently heard another gardener talking about the 10 baby bunny's that she counted rumping in her gardener. Errrrrrr

No comments: