Sunday, July 5, 2009

Duluth Visit and the 4th of July





On Tuesday I stepped in a hole in someones lawn and twisted my ankle; I then had an even longer Holiday weekend. Besides missing a couple days of work I did slow down my weekend activity level, but it didn't stop me. On Friday Jeff and I went to Duluth to spend the day relaxing with each other and taking in the sites. There is a rose garden at a park on the lake shore, you may notice that I have a light jacket on. It was quite pretty although the peonies were blooming more than the roses. The lilacs were just going out of flower. It's about two weeks behind our gardens. The roses look so healthy, not a spot on any of the leaves, perfect. The buds will all open in a week or so and it is going to be very pretty.


It is a very pretty park even with out the full course of roses. We were very fortunate to see the Tall Ship setting sail in the harbor. Jack had told us about it being in town when we stopped at their condo to say hi when we arrived in town. It's hard to tell how large it is in the picture, but we are guesstimating that it's about 100 feet long.



photo by JW Cutler



dac
There are several interesting structures in the park including a gazebo where a couple was having their wedding pictures taken.


photo by JW Cutler

Ever since I saw the great pictures that Jeff got of the race cars at Road America, I have really been antsy about getting a telephoto lens for my camera. And now the pictures of the sail ship that was actually quite a distance off shore, now I was really feeling bugged. We had a little time before meeting with my friend Stephanie and her husband Jim for dinner, so we stopped at Best Buy. There was a nice lens in the display case that lost the box and was the last of it's kind in the store so they had a very attractive price on it. It was meant to be. I will need to practice on this new aspect as well as just the basic camera. I do really enjoy the camera and feel that I am making some progress with the settings.


On Saturday we were home body's. Bill brought Dad/Bob over to join us in the back yard for dinner and just to enjoy the beautiful day. The weather has been quite friendly on the south hill, even when there were rain showers right out side of town.
Bob Cutler

Josh Holland and Turtle

Josh and Vickie stopped with Ridley after spending the early part of the day with the Holland family in Wisconsin. Josh rescued a turtle from the busy road and relocated at a off the road pond on the way back to St Paul. After a great dinner prepared by Jeff on our new charcoal grill, we kicked back and enjoyed a quiet evening until it was time for the fireworks.



Ridley and Vickie Holland

This is Jeff's last summer on the Stillwater Fire Dept. so we went to the fire hall to sit with a few of the other firemen and families. There weren't as many there as in other years. The holiday falling on a Saturday probably had something to do with it. But the show was very good. They set them off over the river from the Wisconsin side.


Photo from Google

Sunday Jeff went for a motorcycle ride with several other guys to Hayward. That's a great ride and would be an interesting destination, but I am still having some issues with the seat for that amount of time and distance. It's a great day for it. I actually had a very quiet and enjoyable day at home.

Back to the real world in the morning. Have a good week everyone.

AML






















No comments: