Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A Rare Orchid

A few days ago Vickie sent me a link to an article in ABC News about a rare orchid in bloom and being on display for one week only at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum about 60 miles west. http://http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2011/02/12/rare-orchid-blooming-at-minn-landscape-arboretum/
The weather has been beautiful the past few days and it was a good reason to take the Vue for a ride. I had my friend Rose join me for the morning trip. This is a privet collection that is being shared with the public. It was a good destination.


Orchids that look like Hummingbirds.



The same plant and the flowers all look slightly different. One has freckles and the other not!






The large white flowers remind me of mouths.



This yellow and red bloom repeated hundreds of times on a cluster of stems. Outstanding!

And this is the rare orchid that we went there to see.

I photoed the discription so I wouldn't have to write it.

Quite a big deal.
They were all very breath taking in their own way.
While we were there we wondered around the buildings. We came across the library and the "Tea Room". This is a part of the property I hadn't explored in the past but I promised myself that I will be there more ofter this year to enjoy the gardens and explore. They just started renting snow shoes and there are trails around the Arboretum grounds. Think that would be pretty cool, I may want to try that one day before the winter is over. It's sort of good to see some of the plants during the winter and check out the bird area perhaps.
After spending the warm sunny spring like morning out were I know the total focus is upon gardens and plants; I am burning with the fever. I hope I'm not in for a big disappointment.... of course I am, it's February. Oh well, it's not too much longer.

No comments: